In the 21st century, you can buy a suitable aquarium for fish without any problems. Why do people decide to make an aquarium on their own? What could be the reasons for making the appropriate decision? What aspects should I focus on?
Reasons for creating a fish house yourself
In most cases, the reasons for creating an aquarium yourself are as follows:
- lack of a suitable specimen on the market, taking into account the optimal configuration. In addition, there may be no optimal option for the ratio of price - quality;
- there is a desire to test workshops and creative skills;
- plans are provided for the corresponding side job.
Only if you understand the reason and motivation, you can move on to putting the idea into practice. It is best to take into account the size and shape of the house for fish, since not all options turn out to be suitable for a real embodiment.
Beginners should start with small models. The optimal volume is about 20 - 40 liters. Such a small aquarium will give experience, because it will already allow you to feel the features of the process and develop skills. In addition, a trial copy is sure to come in handy for those who breed fish and try to create ideal conditions for them.
It is important to prepare for possible flaws. If the final result is disappointing, do not throw out the aquarium. You can try to clean and glue everything again.
When planning to create a house for fish yourself, it is important to consider the available forms of capacity:
Round models are pleasing with their aesthetics, due to which they can successfully fit into almost any variation of the interior. It is important to come to terms with the fact that such containers can only be created using special equipment and the successful implementation of glassblowing skills. Most likely, a round aquarium cannot be created at home.
Angle and panoramic models require considerable experience. This is due to the specifics of working with glass and the increased complexity of creating frame elements.
Given such recommendations, it is best to opt for a simple rectangular aquarium.
If you correlate the shape and volume of the tank, you can understand how the result should still be. In addition, a small instance of up to 40 liters will allow, if necessary, to reassemble the tank.
How to choose glass for an aquarium?
The initial task is the correct choice of glass grade, which is indicated by the letter M and the addition in the form of a digit. The grade of glass M1 is the highest, so the creation of a reliable and high-quality aquarium is guaranteed. In most cases, it is recommended to use a grade not lower than M3, since in another scenario undesirable risks appear.
If you plan to make an aquarium at home, it is best not to be smart with glass. An ordinary display case glass would be ideal, so it is advisable to go to a glass workshop and make the appropriate choice. Before buying it is recommended to carefully inspect the glass, and make sure that there are no cracks, scratches, inclusions.
At the next stage, it is recommended to determine the thickness of the glass. For this, the characteristics of the future capacity are taken into account. In each case, the volume of the aquarium is calculated by a special formula: V = l * a * h. The formula is deciphered as follows:
- V is the volume;
- l is the planned length;
- a is the width;
- h is the height.
Each characteristic allows you to understand what an aquarium should be in size. Calculations are carried out very simply and quickly, and it is allowed to use an aquarium for them. Glass thickness is calculated taking into account all four capacitance parameters.
Stiffeners, presented in the form of special glass strips up to 5 centimeters wide, deserve special attention. It is these additions that guarantee the resistance of the tank to water pressure. Ribs are best used for both small and overall models. Of course, sometimes their significance becomes especially noticeable.
Stiffeners are a prerequisite if the length of the tank exceeds 0.5 meters. However, smaller aquariums also need to improve their quality. To prevent unnecessary risks, it is recommended that the sizing be performed at right angles to the side and front windows.
Stiffening ribs contribute not only to an increase in strength, but also the possibility of using a cover glass from above. Moreover, the house for fish can be transferred with amazing ease.
It is necessary to remember one more important aspect: the length of the aquarium more than 1.5 meters requires not only stiffening ribs, but also special screeds. The use of glass ties fixed to stiffeners at the very bottom or from the bottom guarantees a high level of reliability. A width of 5 centimeters will be enough.
Features of cutting glass
So, we were able to successfully determine the capacity parameters. The next important task is the proper cutting of glass. The understanding of how to make an aquarium at home largely depends on the nuances of this process.
Self-cutting glass is not the best option. What is the reason for this?
- the process promises to be dreary;
- independent implementation of the task is not worth this approach. In most cases, cutting is initially included in the price of glass. In addition, an experienced glazier will be able to successfully complete the task, using a special machine for this. Turning to a professional, you can count on high-quality slices and very accurate dimensions, so that the finished aquarium will be reliable and accurate;
- the creation of a small aquarium is best based on the use of glass trim, which can also be of high quality. This option allows you to count on successful savings.
So, glass processing begins most often with gluing individual panels into a single whole aquarium. Of course, the subsequent steps also prove to be important and may seem specific to beginners.
How to glue an aquarium?
Silicone glue is suitable for bonding the aquarium. It is recommended to pay increased attention to the following aspects:
- the hermetic is 100% silicone;
- glue may be used for aquariums. It is advisable to carefully study the data on the tube. You need to understand that in the modern market there are special antifungal sealants that are harmful to any living organism. A thorough study of the information is a guarantee of the preservation of the life of the fish.
At the next stage, it is recommended to determine the color, realizing that the state of the aquarium depends on this aspect:
- black sealants guarantee enhanced clarity on the boundaries of the container. This option is ideal for large aquariums (from 100 liters);
- colorless remedies are universal, and they provide for a lesser manifestation of flaws;
- white sealants are selected only if they match the interior of the room.
For a beginner, in 99% of cases, colorless sealants are suitable.
Glue from a tube is not so easy to squeeze out, so for the convenience of using the product it is best to take care of the presence of a special glue "gun", thanks to which the extrusion process will be as simple as possible. The quality of the surface treatment determines how tight the aquarium will be. It must be remembered that the optimum thickness of silicone guarantees maximum strength of the structure being created.
Every beginner should understand how to make an aquarium. The whole process can be divided into several stages:
- The aquarium is always created using carefully crafted glass. All sharp glass ribs need to be sharpened by professionals or on their own. If the procedure is carried out at home, a bathtub filled with water is required. A special grindstone is used for processing. In order to protect the walls of the bathtub from glass chips, a lined terry cloth is recommended.
- After the successful completion of the procedure, the glass is wiped, dried. All ends are degreased. For this, ordinary acetone or alcohol is suitable.
- The bottom is laid immediately in the place where the aquarium will be located. It is recommended that the paper be spread beforehand. Sealant carefully treat all the walls of the aquarium. The glue sausage should be sufficiently dense, but it should not be too thick. It depends on how successful the result of the work will be. The sealant layer should be uniform, as thickenings or voids reduce the reliability of the container.
- Now the side walls are glued to the bottom and to each other. It is recommended to process the bottom and side ends.
- It takes a day to dry the aquarium. At this time, the design can not be rearranged.
- After a day, stiffeners should be carefully glued. To do this, put the aquarium on the side and glue the rib with glue. The quality of gluing depends on how carefully the long side of the additional construction will be plastered. To dry, you will need to wait 1-2 days.
- Then, using the blade, it is recommended to carefully trim the excess amount of glue on the seams. On the inside, you can not cut if you used a colorless and safe sealant.
- Now the aquarium is allowed to fill with water. The first few hours will show how successful the work was.
The phased implementation of the task ensures the achievement of the best result if the contractor shows maximum responsibility and caution.
What to do if the aquarium is flowing?
Even if the finished aquarium flows, it is not recommended to immediately get rid of the results of personal labor. In most cases, the situation can be successfully corrected.
Leaking aquarium corner
In this case, you need to re-treat the problem area with silicone glue. This is done from the inside.
If the problem persists, you will need to completely cut the seam and cut 2 walls of the aquarium. Then, with a blade, you need to clean the edges of the silicone, degrease it again and thoroughly grease with glue. Only after the repeated procedure is gluing of the sides of the aquarium possible.
Seam is leaking
If this problem is noted, it is recommended that you try to remove the problematic piece of the seam. In its place, gently push a small amount of silicone.
If the problem still worries, you will need to cut out two walls and carry out the procedure described in the first example.
A series of small bubbles appear.
If places do not leak, you can do nothing. Many owners of aquariums are ready to confirm that the appearance of small bubbles does not lead to any undesirable problems.
Only a reliable container is ideal for fish.
At the stage of creating the aquarium, it is recommended to take care of the presence of technological holes that will allow you to successfully lay all the wires and hoses. The holes are cut from the side of the container with a wide drill on wood.
How to integrate lighting?
Lamps for the aquarium can be selected taking into account personal preferences. It is best to use luminaires with a light transmission coefficient of at least 60 Ra. If desired, the fixtures can be replaced with a special lighting film. In any case, lighting fixtures must be reliably protected from water and built in according to the instructions.
Creating an aquarium on your own can initially seem like a very complicated and responsible job. Despite this, the task can still be handled independently in the shortest possible time, if you understand the specifics of the work process.