A dog gnawing its paws is a fairly common sight, familiar to the average man. However, such behavior of our smaller friends is not always the norm, sometimes it serves as an occasion to pay closer attention to the health of your pet.
A dog licking its paws, gnawing its claws and doing such manipulations not often without “fanaticism” should not cause concern.
But if after such an exercise bloody traces remain or the pet shows increased attention to the condition of its paws, you should carefully look at it, because perhaps serious reasons can serve as the basis for such behavior.
- Not good paw washing after walking - can provoke a clean animal to independently complete hygiene procedures that can become an elementary habit in him, bearing signs of obsessive actions.
- Claws Too Long - they dig into the body of the animal, causing discomfort and pain, so the dog tries to help itself, resorting to the possibilities that it is capable of: it gnaws the teeth with its teeth and licks the wounded places with its tongue.
- Wool rolled between fingers - It can serve not only as a cause for discomfort, but also as real problems with the health of the paws that affect their position and condition of the joints.
- Seasonal problems - help the owner explain the cause of the dog’s anxiety, repeated from year to year, for example, in winter sensitive skin on the pads of the paws can suffer from chemicals, salt, cold; in the summer, in addition to heat, asphalt, spilled chemicals and fuels and lubricants, improperly disposed formulations containing chemically active substances can affect the skin.
- Household chemicals - It causes irritation and itching of the skin, sneezing, up to breathing problems, while the source may be in the home itself.
- Fungus - arises with poor hygiene of the animal’s paws, the problem is especially urgent for long-haired pets with lush vegetation between the fingers with frequent undersaturation of the paws washed after walking.
- Subcutaneous ticks and other parasites - cause an intolerable itch and the same desire in a dog to get rid of it with the help of teeth and tongue.
- Joint disease, neurological problems, lack of vitamins, metabolic disorders, other diseases - such reasons can also cause ultimately increased dog interest in their limbs.
- Foreign bodies, injuries, cuts, mechanical injuries, fractures and other injuries of fingers, fractures of claws - The unconditional reasons for excessive attention of the pet to the vulnerable places, trying to reduce pain and get rid of their source.
Excessive cracking of the paws can lead to the formation of long non-healing wounds, which is fraught with infection and subsequent serious infection.
Treatment and prevention
The main preventive measure that will help the owner better control the condition of the paws of his four-legged friend is a daily thorough examination of the animal after walking and at the first signs of increased attention of the pet to its paws. Good hygiene after walking will also help to avoid unnecessary problems. Periodic calls to the veterinarian for an examination will help prevent the occurrence of diseases for those symptoms that are not known to the pet owner.
Important! Trim the claws in time, remove rolled up shreds of wool between the fingers.
If the owner suspects that the dog has difficulties with the health of its paws, it is best to immediately consult a specialist for advice. The veterinarian will take scrapings for analysis to identify fungal and mold formations, conduct a thorough examination, possibly refer to narrower specialists: surgeon, neurologist, etc.
It will also be interesting:
Animals whose paws are particularly sensitive to chemically active compounds can be worn with specially made boots while walking along the street, while in the house they should try to use less cleaning and cleaning products and other household chemicals. When walking, you should avoid potentially dangerous places where the animal can injure or injure the paw, drive a splinter or step on substances containing chemically hazardous compounds.
A balanced diet is the key to the health of four-legged friends. Deterioration of feed quality, lack of vitamins, improperly selected food complex can aggravate existing minor problems with the animal’s health.
Having established nutrition, it will be possible to strengthen the pet's immunity, which will help to avoid health problems. It is also possible that by analyzing the changed conditions of keeping and living the dog, the owner will discover innovations. which caused the pet to be nervous and remove which can alleviate the animal’s condition.